As well as carrying transmittable diseases, the acidic nature of pigeon droppings can cause damage to your car, patio, driveway and garden furniture. It can also cause damage to the fabric of your building, look very unsightly, and cause the ground to become slippery and dangerous. If you run a business then unsightly pigeon mess can be a real turn-off for customers and damage the image of your company.
Depending on the scale of the problem, you may be able to clean the mess yourself or bring in a professional company to deal with it for you, which is the much safer option. Here are some tips on how to clean pigeon mess:
- Always wear protective clothing, boots, gloves and a face mask to avoid the risk of any dust inhalation.
- Soak the bird droppings with water and whilst it is wet, try to shovel it away. Never try to clean the droppings whilst they are dry because dust can be inhaled and this can be harmful.
- Using a high powered water hose can be effective in removing the droppings but once again, dampen the affected area first before hosing to avoid dust from being created.
- Collect the wet waste in heavy duty plastic bags and dispose of it carefully.
- Disinfect the area that you have just cleaned with bleach.
- After the bird droppings have been removed and discarded, wash your hands and any exposed skin thoroughly with anti-bacterial hand wash.
If you need any advice about cleaning pigeon mess or would prefer it to be cleaned professionally then please give us a call or contact us. We have the correct tools and equipment for the job and would be happy to help.